SCHOOL NUTRITION ASSOCIATION OF IOWA
STANDING RULES AND OPERATING PROCEDURES
I. Operating Procedure for Scholarships
To establish a tax-exempt SNAI Scholarship and Award Fund for educational training in administration and supervision of school nutrition programs in Iowa as well as providing an opportunity for members to improve their careers in school food service program through continuing education.
To promote interest in further education for SNAI members and as funds become available, the dependent children of members.
C. Governing Guidelines
1. The trusteeship shall be composed of three members appointed by the SNAI Executive Board.
a. The chairman shall be the immediate Past President of SNAI.
b. The other three members shall be the current SNAI President, President-Elect and a member at large.
2. The SNAI Executive Board shall serve in an advisory capacity to the members of the trusteeship.
3. It is the desire of SNAI to prioritize scholarship awards to qualified members or as determined by the trusteeship that adequate funds are available to include dependent children of qualified members.
D. Responsibilities of Trusteeship
1. The trusteeship shall be responsible to the Executive Board for making all recommendations
regarding the scholarship and awards program.
2. Review and approve applications.
3. Approve methods and sources of funding scholarships and awards.
4. Determine the amount of money for each scholarship and award.
5. Determine the number of years an applicant can receive funds.
E. Funding Sources
1. $1.50 from each Annual Conference registration.
2. $1.00 from each registration at state sponsored events.
3. $1.00 from each members' annual SNAI dues.
4. Accept contributions from business partners associated with child nutrition programs, individuals, professionals, civic groups and interested organizations.
5. Other fund raisers as established by the trusteeship and/or SNAI Executive Board.
6. Allow up to 50 % of funds available for distribution.
F. Procedures for Trusteeship Committee
1. Consider only applications of which all requirements have been submitted.
2. Approved application by three of the four committee members.
3. Notify all applicants of results by June 1stth.
4. Introduce scholarship and award winners at SNAI’s Annual State Conference
UPDATED SCHOLARSHIP FORM IS POSTED ON THE SNAI WEBSITE
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE CHAIR BY APRIL 15TH
A. Award/ Grant
1. Have been a member of SNAI and employed in School Nutrition field for at least two consecutive years.
B. Undergraduate or Graduate Scholarship for Members
1. Hold an approved high school graduate certificate or diploma and apply for undergraduate work in nutrition, food service management, culinary arts or related field and indicate an interest for continuing studies in school food service; or
2. Have attended an accredited college or university and wishes to continue studying toward a
3. Hold a degree from an accredited college or university and desire graduate study in a field related to school food service.
4. Have been a member of SNAI and employed in the School Nutrition field for at least two consecutive years.
C. Undergraduate or Graduate Scholarship for Dependent Children of Members
1. Hold an approved high school graduate certificate or diploma and desire to apply for undergraduate work; or
2. Have attended an accredited college or university and wish to continue studying toward a degree; or
3. Hold a degree from an accredited college or university and desire graduate study.
4. Be a dependent of an SNAI member who has both ten years school food service employment and ten years membership in SNAI.
D. Application form can be found in Annual Leadership Guide or on the SNAI Website.